Sunday, September 23, 2012

Nature, and all it's Capabilities....

Hays Cemetery 2012
 Hancock County, Indiana
 
 
 
 
 
Including organic materials in my work is a reflection of my fondness for nature,
and it's endless storybook of objects, textures, creatures, and life. Animal remains
house a great amount of life, even after death. A story remains to be told, and I
believe the spirit can be immortalized by creating a home for that which the animal
left behind. And the same can be said with humans.
 
Here, you can see me at Hays Cemetery in Hancock, Indiana. Hays Cemetery has 
undergone years of destructive and disrespectful behavior. There is now a circle
of broken headstones created by those responsible for the chaos. When I was there, I decided that some purity and kindness was needed. I buried a white candle withing
dried wheat, and lit it. All the while dropping dried yellow marigolds around the
circle to fuse the area with peace and to hopefully leave a feeling of respect.
 
 
My work often reflects themes of death, altars, and the supernatural. I included this
photograph for those to see I not only practice these ideals in my work, but also in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment